Main menu

Applying for F1 visa

General instructions for applying for an F1 visa can be found here:  Please note that application requirements and procedures vary by country, so be sure to check the website of the US Consulate that serves your country/community.  A list of US embassies and consulates can be found here:

Before applying for your visa, make sure you have received your Boston Conservatory I-20 and have paid the I-901 SEVIS fee.

For additional advice on applying for a student visa, read “10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa.”

Information for Canadians: If you are Canadian, you do not need to apply for an F-1 visa at a US Consulate, but do need to (1) obtain an I-20 from our school, (2) pay the I-901 SEVIS fee, and (3) carry your passport, financial documents, SEVIS fee receipt, and any previously issued U.S. immigration documents (e.g., old I-20s) with you when you enter the U.S.  You will apply for F1 status at your port of entry to the United States.

Back to top