Main menu

Meals, Housing and Wellness FAQ

Where do students with meal plans eat?

The Boston Conservatory has established a relationship with the Berklee College of Music to provide dining services for Extension Program students that are living on-campus. The meal plan consists of breakfast, lunch, and dinner on weekdays as well as brunch and dinner on weekend and holiday days. 

Summer Hours for the Berklee Cafeteria are as follows:

Breakfast 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Lunch 11:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Dinner 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Brunch 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Dinner 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

You can find additional information on Berklee’s dining services at:

What are the dorms like?

On-campus housing at The Boston Conservatory consists of historic brownstones in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston. These buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Each room is different ranging from: quints, quads, triples, doubles, and singles. Every room contains an extra long twin beds, desk, chair, and bureau.

Is there a curfew?

Yes, all participants in the Extension Programs, regardless of age, have a 10:00 p.m. curfew Sunday-Thursday and an 11:00 p.m. curfew Friday-Saturday. This is a program expectation and will result in disciplinary action if not observed and followed. 

When do I check into the dorm?

Extension Programs that offer housing will have a set check-in and check-out time designated to their program. On move in day, you will be required to check in with the Coordinator of the program, Recreation Director and the Resident Student Life staff. You will also receive an ID card and keys at this time.

Will parking space be available at school on the move-in day?

There is drop off space available along the street outside the dorm, but no parking. We encourage you to unload and move to a parking garage or metered spot. The state police will come and tow your car if left unattended.

Can students leave on the weekends or for special circumstances during program?

If your child is staying in the dorm, we encourage them to participate in all activities on and off campus. Most activities take place on the weekends or in the evenings after class before curfew. Participants are allowed to leave for the weekend or request extended curfew if 24-hour advanced written notice is supplied to the Director of Housing by a legal guardian for approval. Any student or legal guardian who requests extended curfew must be chaperoned by a guardian while off-campus. Participants may only request an extended curfew twice during any session. The RAs and RDs are responsible for your child and will take the necessary action if participants are not back in the dorm by curfew.

Are the dorms air conditioned?

No, the dorms are not air conditioned. We suggest you bring your own fan as Boston does get quite hot during the summer. There are also places that fans can be purchased nearby if you want to wait until you arrive.

Is there laundry in the residence halls?

Washers and dryers are available in each residence hall. Each of these machines are operated by a swipe card that you can put money on. You can get these cards in the dorms and it costs $1.85 per load.

Am I allowed to have guests stay in my room?

The Conservatory does not allow overnight guests for Extension Programs.

Can my child have a cell phone, laptop computer or iPod in the dorms?

Yes, students are welcome to bring cell phones, laptops and iPods, at the risk of the owner. The Boston Conservatory will not take any responsibility for lost or stolen items.

Are there computers on campus?

There are computers available in the basement of 8 Fenway and the library for use. WIFI is available on campus and in the dorm common areas.

Are there sheets and towels provided?

No. Sheets are towels are not provided. You will need to bring your own extra-long twin sheet, pillow and towels for showering. Flat sheets will also fit the beds.

How can students be reached while in the program?

If you need to get a message to your student the best option is to reach them by their own cell phone or call the Extension Office at (617) 912-9203. If you want to send them something in the mail it should be addressed to the address below. Students are responsible for picking up their own mail from the Receptionist at the front desk in 8 The Fenway between 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m..

The Boston Conservatory (Program) Attention: 8 The Fenway  Boston, MA 02215

How do I know that my child will be safe and secure?

All dorms can only be accessed with a Boston Conservatory ID. These dorms are supervised by a Director of Housing, Resident Director, and Resident Assistant. In addition, we provide 24-Hour on-campus security and an on-call person in case of emergencies.

Should I have extra cash?

If you are participating in a meal plan or activities, those expenses will be paid for you. Snacks, souvenirs and other provisions will NOT be provided so extra cash is something to seriously consider. Students will have opportunities to explore the city or go out to eat during their free time.

RA information and structure

The Residence Director works with the Director of Housing to oversee daily operations in the residence halls. The RD also advises the Director, provides support for RA staff, and serves as RA for one building. The Residence Life staff is always available to help with any concern.

Can I request my roommates?

Yes, as long as the request is submitted to the Director of Housing prior to the deposit deadline. Summer housing averages three students to a room.

Are there private or shared bathrooms?

All bathrooms in the dorms are shared, either as suites or by floor.

What kind of refrigerator can I bring?

One refrigerator may be used in each student room, but it must not exceed 120 volts, 125 watts, and 30 inches high. The refrigerator must be kept in open view and not placed in any enclosure or closet that could restrict ventilation.

Can I have a microwave in my room? No. The following equipment is not permitted in the residence halls: air conditioners, electric percolators, halogen lamps, candles, microwave ovens, electric frying pans, hot plates, immersion coils, sun lamps, toasters and toaster ovens, popcorn poppers, and other heating or cooking elements. A microwave is available for your use in the lobby of each residence hall.

Health and Wellness

What kinds of health facilities are available?

We do not have a nurse on campus. Students in the extension programs at The Boston Conservatory will be utilizing local health care providers should they need medical attention. The following services are the most commonly utilized by Boston Conservatory students during the academic year. It is the participants’ responsibility to verify whether their insurance is accepted in this area. The participant will be responsible for any incurred health or insurance expenses.

Harvard Vanguard Pediatric Urgent Care (under 18)
Kenmore Square (617) 421-8888

Mass General Pediatric Urgent Care (under 18)
Fruit Street, Boston (617) 726-2728

Emergency Medical Care (under 18)
Local hospitals include Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Do I have to sign a liability waiver?

Yes. Participation in the Extension Programs may involve some risk or personal injury or damage to The Boston Conservatory property. Therefore, participants assume all risks and will need to complete a liability waiver releasing The Boston Conservatory of all resulting liability for personal injury and property damage. Information about your medical insurance and emergency contact information will need to be provided. Participants will need to make sure that their insurance is accepted in Boston and bring a valid insurance card.

What if my child becomes ill or is injured?

If your child becomes ill, a 24-hour emergency contact person will be available to triage the situation, contact you, and set up a doctor appointment (if needed) and accompany your child to the doctors. The Boston Conservatory is NOT permitted to hand out any medication of any kind (including Tylenol, Advil, etc.). A part-time Physical Therapist is also available onsite two days a week for dance-related injuries.

Back to top