Main menu

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Federal Code Number for The Boston Conservatory?

The Federal Code Number (aka FAFSA Code Number) for The Boston Conservatory is 002129.  The Federal Code Number for Berklee is 002126.  Both codes must be added to the 2016-17 FAFSA.  If you've already filled out your 2016-17 FAFSA with just the Boco Federal Code, you need only update it.  You do not have to fill out a whole new FAFSA.

My parents don’t support me, why should I put their information on the FAFSA?

For the purposes of federal financial aid, students are considered dependent on their parents until they are 24 regardless of financial support.  There are circumstances, however, when a student under the age of 24 may be considered independent.

The student can be considered independent if s/he:

  1. is married
  2. is providing more than half the support of his/her child
  3. is living with and providing more than half the support of somebody else
  4. is in a master’s or doctorate program
  5. is an orphan or ward of the court (at any time since age 13)
  6. is currently serving on active duty in the US Armed Forces for purposes other than training
  7. is a veteran of the US Armed Forces
  8. is an emancipated minor as determined by the state of his/her legal residence
  9. is or was in legal guardianship as determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence
  10. (on or after July 1, 2008)  has been declared an unaccompanied youth who is homeless by his high school or school district
  11. (on or after July 1, 2008) has been declared an unaccompanied youth who is homeless by a director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the US Department of Housing
  12. (on or after July 1, 2008) has been declared an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or were self supporting and at risk of being homeless by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program.

Verification will be requested if a student claims any of these circumstances.

Students who don’t fall into the above circumstances, can be declared independent ONLY in extreme circumstances. Please see the Independency Petition for more information.

There’s been a change in my family’s circumstances since filling out the FAFSA. Is there anything I can do?

A family’s special circumstances can be taken into account in the financial aid process.  Verification documents and tax returns are required.  Please see the Special Circumstances Form on the forms page for more information. 

My parents are divorced - who should fill out the FAFSA?

The custodial parent should fill out the FAFSA. If there is no formal custodial parent, then whoever provided you with the most support the last time you were supported should fill out the FAFSA.

I have my award package what do I do now?

Please see the Financial Aid Award Guide for more information on the Financial Aid process.

Can I get money for living expenses while attending The Boston Conservatory?

Yes, you can.  You may receive financial aid up to the institution’s Cost of Attendance (COA).  The COA is a figure made up of tuition, fees, room & board, travel and miscellaneous costs.  It is an estimated figure.  Most students do not receive enough financial aid in their award package to pay their total COA, so they take out loans for that purpose.  Please see the Financial Aid Award Guide for more information on loans. 

When can I get my refund?

If you have more in financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships), then you owe to the school, then you should be eligible for a refund. Refunds become available after the add/drop date, usually one month after the start of the semester.  If the refund comes from the Parent PLUS Loan, it will be necessary for your parents to sign a release form for you to receive the funds.  Forms are sent before the loans are disbursed to the school.

Back to top